So I inherited a bunch of old Sun Solaris T2000 boxes. They have ALOM on them, cool! but how do I access it over the network? Neither do I know the IP address configured for the ALOM network interfaces, nor do I know the password.
Here is how to reset ALOM’s parameters and start fresh.
Note: before you start fresh you may want to try the default username and password combo on the ALOM prompt via a serial connection.
password : last 8 digits of the server serial number
In my case this was not last 8 digits, it was something else. So I really needed to reset ALOM. Here is how:
- Connect to the serial management port.
- Unplug power to the server, then connect power.
- Press the Escape key during ALOM boot right after connecting power.
- The ALOM boot escape menu is shown
- Choose e to erase NVRAM
- Choose r to reset ALOM
- Set ALOM parameters by running the command setupsc
- Reboot by using resetsc command
- Now you can logon to the IP address you set in ALOM using SSH [think Putty]
- enter your credentials
- type poweron command to boot the server
- type console –f to connect to the server console from the system console
- That’s it!