I find webmin to be very useful on the Linux OS. This makes my life easier, especially if you have very little linux experience. Here is how to install it manually:
- Use Putty to SSH to your vm
- Logon as root/root and run these commands:
a. The path where wget resides may be different in your server.
b. Download the latest version of webmin.
cd /root /usr/sfw/bin/wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/webadmin/webmin-1.480.tar.gz gunzip webmin-1.480.tar.gz tar xf webmin-1.480.tar cd webmin-1.480 sudo ./setup.sh /usr/local/webmin
- A setup program runs now. Basically I accepted all options as default (just keep pressing enter!)
- At one point it will ask for a username and password. I left the username as admin and entered a password (twice)
- I also allowed it to start webmin at system startup.
- Press y and enter
- That’s it!
Note: I use the tar file (NOT the deb file for webmin for Debian Linux). I wasted a few hrs trying to fix the dependencies. Then I broke down and used the tar. Works fine! No issues
Now go to http://server-name:10000 and logon with the name and password you entered previously.
Note: I am using an old version of webmin here. I have seen that new versions of webmin dont work properly on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS server. However I have not tried the very latest one yet [version 1.550]