While trying to connect from a Windows 8 Enterprise client machine to my Windows Server Hyper-V 2012 server via the Hyper-V Manager, I kept getting this error message:
“Access denied. Unable to establish communication between Client and Server”.
I found a way to fix this. Here is how:
- From the command prompt of the client open a command prompt and type DCOMCNFG
- Go to: “Component Services > Computers > My Computer”.
- Open Properties for “My Computer” and select the COM Security tab.
- In “Access Permissions” area click the “Edit Limits” button.
- Select the “Anonymous Logon”-group and make sure the “Remote Access” is set to Allowed.
Now your client will connect successfully to the server.
Note that for server management “Server Manager >> Computer Management” you still need a firewall rule on the server or simply disable the firewall completely [not recommended] using this command:
netsh firewall set opmode mode=disable